[WEB4LIB] RE: GIFs, Unisys, and Greed

Michael Sauers msauers at bcr.org
Tue Nov 9 14:59:12 EST 1999

> Are you sure?  An article in New Scientist implies that while Unisys may
> not go after every user, the company feels that the responsibility lies
> with the end user, not the software developer.

This is a great case of bad information propagating itself...

>From the Unisys Web Site: http://www.unisys.com/unisys/lzw/

"Unisys has frequently been asked whether a Unisys license is required in
order to use LZW software obtained by downloading from the Internet or from
other sources. The answer is simple. In all cases, a written license
agreement or statement signed by an authorized Unisys representative is
required from Unisys for all use, sale or distribution of any software
(including so-called "freeware") and/or hardware providing LZW conversion
capability (for example, downloaded software used for creating/displaying
GIF images). In certain cases, no license fees may be required, but this
needs to be evidenced by a written agreement or written statement signed by
an authorized Unisys representative."

The license is just for the creation software, not for the GIF itself.

Michael Sauers, Internet Trainer
Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
Aurora, CO :: msauers at bcr.org :: http://www.bcr.org/~msauers
The WWW Library Directory is @ http://www.webpan.com/msauers/libdir/
Buy books, music or videos online? http://www.acses.com/?partner=1307

Child: Do not try to bend the spoon, that is impossible.
       Just realize the truth.
Neo:   What is the truth?
Child: There is no spoon.	-- The Matrix

Opinions expressed are my own unless otherwise noted.