[WEB4LIB] Win98: compatibility problems?

Grace Agnew grace.agnew at ibid.library.gatech.edu
Fri May 28 09:34:54 EDT 1999

Francesco,

We are migrating, willy nilly, because we have purchased a lot of new PCs
with Y2K replacement money and, of course, they come with Win98 on board.
Like every WinOS, since Bill Gates was a pup, the first release is, IMO,
quite buggy.  We have had some cache problems and other glitches, but
nothing serious.  Printers and scanners have worked fine, but higher end
peripherals, such as video encoding cards have not.  My boss is also quite
concerned about the registry ID assigned to documents (the GUID problem),
which can track documents through the Web.  We have ordered the free fix
but since it means messing with critical registry files, we may choose to
wait for the fix Microsoft is promising.  All this to say, my
recommendation is migrate slowly (e.g. when you buy a new PC) or wait for
the "B" version.  Win98 is not unusably buggy, however, but it will be a
similar situation to Win95--downloading of "B" version fixes off the
Microsoft web to solve a number of annoying little glitches.

Best,

Grace

At 05:40 AM 5/28/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear Web4libbers,
>
>our small library would like to migrate form Win95 to Win98 (we have a LAN
with a NT4 Server and 5 pc with win95) for a better stability of the system
and YK2 compliant.

>Our technical assistance stresses that win98 has a lot of driver
compatibility problems and it does not advice to do such a migration.

>As I am responsible for this migration, I would like to have from you some
advices and to know if is it true of this "serious" compatibility problems
(...but win98 was not a better choice than win95?).

>Thanks in advance to the list
>Best regards
>Francesco Giacanelli
>
>P.S.: Sometimes the technical assistance seems to create problems than to
solve them for a not computer expert librarian!

>*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
>Francesco Giacanelli
>Biblioteca Italiana per i Ciechi - Centro di Documentazione Tiflologica
>(Italian Library for the Blind - Documentation Center on Blindness)
>Via della Fontanella di Borghese, 23 - 00186 Roma, Italy
>Tel.: +39 06 68219820
>Fax: +39 06 68136227
>e-mail: cdtinfo at bibciechi.it
>private e-mail: md1251 at mclink.it

Grace Agnew
Assistant Director for Systems and Technical Services
Georgia Tech Library
704 Cherry St.
Atlanta, GA  30332-0900
404-894-8932