An open source library software project

Peter Schlumpf schlumpf at nslsilus.org
Thu May 27 22:41:36 EDT 1999

To those interested I am announcing Avanti, a project developing open
source library automation software.  The goal of the project is to
develop a software system for libraries that is platform independent and
implementation neutral as well as open source.  "Implementation neutral"
means that the software design takes a modular and very abstract
approach, and therefore can be tailored to specific implementations for
libraries of any type.  The system is being written entirely in Java.
The source code is freely available to all to use and modify as they
wish.  As an open source system it is hoped that Avanti will become a
freely available alternative to commercial systems for libraries wishing
to automate.   For more information or to download the source code go to
the web page:

     http://www.nslsilus.org/~schlumpf/avanti

Be advised that the project at this point is at a very early stage of
development and the code at a very low level.  I am committed, however,
to bringing the software to practical implementation.

I welcome any comments, criticisms or suggestions from anyone.  Feel
free to email me:  schlumpf at nslsilus.org  If you find this project
interesting enough that you may want to contribute/collaborate let me
know.

Note:  I have been informed more than once that "Avanti" is the name of
a library automation package developed and used in Germany.  Because of
this I may have to change the name of this project and software.  If and
when this happens I will make that information known.  I am also open to
name suggestions as well!

Peter Schlumpf
schlumpf at nslsilus.org