[WEB4LIB] Re: Cd Launch from Web Browser

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Wed May 26 19:43:34 EDT 1999

At 11:02 AM 5/26/99 -0700, Gary E. Masters wrote:
>I am very interested in how you work out a solution to this problem.  We
>had a CD tower that crashed a lot, so I got a really big Dell NetWare
>server (nearly 100 gb of hard disk space) and now put the Cd's in volumes
>in Netware.  However, we run out of drive letters.

Although I'm sure you'll hear other solutions, I'd heartily recommend you
get SP to give you a test of the same databases on the web.  The prices are
identical for almost all products for the same number of simultaneous
users.  You'll get campus wide access and you'll find it easy to
authenticate off campus users if you care to.  Your patrons will LOVE the
improved access and the access from home.

We used to have 84 CDROM drives networked.  We're now down under sixty, and
expect to be under 40 by fall, perhaps even under 28.   Everybody will be
MUCH happier.

Contact me off list if you want more info.   And, this isn't SP specific,
as you'll find similar options from many other database providers.

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165