[WEB4LIB] Library home pages

Jacqueline Lesch jlesch at wahoo.sjsu.edu
Wed May 12 14:27:20 EDT 1999

Shane Nackerud wrote:

> Hello everyone--
>
>         The University of Minnesota Libraries are in the middle of a total web
> site redesign.  One question we have been grappling with is what links
> should be on the home page?  What services and research tools should
> receive the highest priority?  The catalog and indexes/databases are
> obvious choices, but what else?

While normally a WEB4LIB lurker, I thought I would voice an opinion
here.
Yes, the catlog and indexes/databases are obvious choices, however, what
do these terms really mean to our library patrons and website users?
Library jargon can be very frustrating to non-librarians, especially on
a website where you cannot walk up to a librarian and ask for
assistance. Terms like: OPAC, Catalog, Databases, & Electronic Indexes
are best reserved staff meetings and should be replaced on websites more
desciptive titles or phrases.

--
Jacqueline Lesch
jlesch at wahoo.sjsu.edu