Dr. Laura Gives ALA a bloody nose as Toys R' Us cancels its check

David Burt dburt at afo.net
Fri May 7 17:39:14 EDT 1999

Toys'R'Us Cancels ALA Fund Negotiations,  Cites Dr. Laura
http://www.ala.org/alonline/news/1999/990510.html#toys

                         After eight months of negotiations with ALA's Fund for
                         America's Libraries to pay for the building of children's reading
                         rooms in public libraries across the United States, the
                         Toys'R'Us toy store chain May 3 decided to cancel those
                         plans as a result of Dr. Laura Schlessinger's April 15 radio
                         broadcast that portrayed librarians as pedophiles.

                         "Though a final figure had not been set, we thought we were
                         very close to getting $250,000 for the first year," Stuart
                         Whitwell, associate director of the fund, told American
                         Libraries, "and that it would raise as much as a million dollars
                         over succeeding years." Whitwell said it would have been the
                         fund's "biggest corporate deal" this year.

David Burt, President
Filtering Facts
www.filteringfacts.org
phone/fax 503 635-7048