Dr Laura Crusade Continues

David Burt dburt at afo.net
Fri May 7 12:28:01 EDT 1999

Dr. Laura continues to liberally apply her baseball bat to ALA.  Last week her
show was bombarded with prank calls from ALA supporters pretending to have
problems.  On Monday, Dr. Laura received a fax saying "I am my kid's mom, and a
SLUT" that said "American Library Association" at the top and was from an ALA
office phone number.

These tactics appear to be backfiring, as Dr. Laura has only made ALA more of a
priority for her 20 million listeners.  She did another anti-ALA monologue at
the beginning of Thursday's show, available at
http://www.audionet.com/premrad/shows/drlaura/9905/laura0506.ram

Referring to ALA's opposition to an Illinois bill requiring filters for
children in public schools:

"They [ALA] definitely want to make sure your children have easy access to
pornography, under the guise of free speech.  This is a dangerous group...This
is absurd, I cannot imagine that any sane adult would use the concept of
discrimination as an issue, when people are simply trying to protect children
from pornography.  It is amazing to me.  We're not talking about adults, we're
talking about our children.  Why do we have a rating system in the movies?  Is
the American Library Association against that too?...I'm so fed up with the
American Library Association, I can hardly spit."
Dr. Laura Show, 5/6/99

David Burt, President
Filtering Facts
www.filteringfacts.org