[WEB4LIB] Networked printer headaches

John T. Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Fri May 14 01:28:15 EDT 1999

On Thu, 13 May 1999, Stacy Pober wrote:

<SNIP>
> What I would like is to network this printer without a Novell login.  I
> assume that since the printer is directly attached to our network via a
> NIC card, that it has its own IP address.  Is there any way we can simply
> send print jobs to a particular IP address?  What software would we need to
> do that?

You don't say what kind of printers you have.  We have HP lasers, with HP
JetDirect cards for network access.  We are currently testing (& switching
over) to JetDirect printing directly to the printers, removing the need
for our patron stations to login to the Novell server.  This should
(hopefully) solve a recurring problem, where a PC is rebooted and NOT
logged into the Novell server.  Print jobs accumulate until someone thinks
to mention it to the Reference desk librarian (whom are half and half in
knowing how to disable Fortres and log back into Novell... even though I
have a help web page that outlines just that!).

You can snag the Jetdirect software for both Win9x and WinNT from HP's web
site (http://www.hp.com).  You will also need to enable TCP/IP on the
printers. Again, this is assuming that you have HP JetDirect cards.

> And can anyone recommend security software that loads before the registry
> initializes?  That might solve the Novell login problem.

Nope. We've had some problems with Fortres conflicting with software we
wanted to run.  NO answer for you here, except that if the JetDirect
software works, we are going to turn off the Novell login -- we don't want
to remove the Novell Client32 completely, because we install software from
our Novell server.

- John

   John Thomas Benedetto, User Support Analyst II       jbenedet at unm.edu
   Centennial Science & Engineering Library,               (505)277-2598
   University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM  87131-1466