[WEB4LIB] Re: What I hate about IE5

Danny Sullivan danny at calafia.com
Thu May 6 12:17:17 EDT 1999

> When you save a web page, IE 5 assumes or makes up a directory to put the
> images in. Netscape doesn't do this. It's a royale pain in the pern. I
> had a rather large document and every one of the references to the images
> were wrong and had to be redone.

I talked with a contact at Microsoft about this, because it's a big pain
for me, too. He promised that someone's looking into an option so that
you can set the default action to be either save as complete, save as
web archive or save HTML only. I love having all the options, but I
want to control the default setting to be my choice.

By the way, the web archive option is especially slick. It embeds all
the images into one single file, along with the HTML text. It's then
only viewable in IE5, but since that's what I use, it's not a problem.
Plus, once you've save this way, you can always go back and resave
the file into one of the other formats.

What I really hate is that the page title is now used at the file name
when you save, rather than the file name itself. Again, this is
something he said they'd see able making something that can be
changed. When I hear back, I'll let people know.

By the way, IE5 has some very slick new search features. See the
article below that covers them, plus the one below it that's an update
on Netscape search features.

http://searchenginewatch.com/sereport/99/04-ie5.html
http://searchenginewatch.com/sereport/99/04-netscape.html