[WEB4LIB] LANs

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Wed May 5 01:48:07 EDT 1999

At 06:18 PM 5/4/99 -0700, A.K. Smiley Public Library wrote:

First, consider getting some technical support from your city computer
gurus, whatever the department may be called.  Also, consider investing in
some consulting from a library geek, or other consultant.

>1. BANDWIDTH-  For 15 users, how much bandwidth should we start with;
>256k..384k..512k?  Do fewer users on a larger line get faster access or is
>the speed of download limited by the computer itself (processor, ram, etc.)?

Line will determine speed, though the limiting factor may sometimes be
elsewhere on the net.  Bigger pipe can carry more, assuming that whatever
is feeding the pipe can keep it filled.

>2. ETHERNET-   Do Ethernet cables and network cards have speeds?  I've
>recently heard of "fast" ethernet.

If you're starting fresh, you want to be sure to get Cat5 cable.  This will
handle "fast ethernet", i.e. 100baseT.   Net cards will be about same
price, and you may not notice difference now.  But, you'll save recabling
sometime in the future.  (Well, until some time in more distant future when
there is something yet newer and better)

>3.  MODEMS-   If we decide to move to cable access when it becomes
>available in our area, do we just switch the LAN from an ADSL modem to a
>cable modem or is there more involved?

Changing modems and connections will be necessary.  But the other hardware
(switch, router, hub, depending on what you're doing) will still be fine.

>4. SECURITY SOFTWARE- What software  do you use on your workstations
>-  fortres...cybraryn...etc.?  Should I reconsider linking public and
>staff workstations or are LANs pretty safe?

Keep staff and public workstations on separate hubs.  There is a ton of
stuff on security software in the archives of this list and others.  We
each have our favorite, usually with some good reason.  o-)

>5.  FUTURE GROWTH-  How far in the future should I plan for - 2 years, 3
>years, 6 months? Should I take into consideration the computers we may be
>adding in the future, or the fact that someday our 30 station OPAC may
>also go online, or is a LAN pretty flexible about additions?

I'd plan for a year or two, unless you're laying cable in some place that
it can't easily be changed (such as in a floor that is being poured,
etc.)  In that case put in all you can.  You'll never have enough.  You can
always expand the network.

As to the OPAC, should I assume you now have dumb terminals that are hard
wired to the computer?  If so, yes, you should plan on gradually converting
those to PCs, probably sooner rather than later.  That can be a good place
to use "older PCs" when you have some.  Your OPAC will almost certainly
have web access within a few years.

Carefully consider what services/software you want to add to this
network.  If you're web only, its much easier to lock it down.  If you
don't "have to" add word processing and such, don't, you'll be much happer.

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165