[WEB4LIB] Netscape composer

Mary Martin mmartin at fspl.lib.ar.us
Tue May 4 14:39:37 EDT 1999

Mary,

I would suggest just loading the standalone Netscape Navigator browser on the
library workstations, instead of Netscape Communicator, which includes Composer
and a bunch of other tools that you may not want patrons to have access to. If
you just install the Netscape Navigator browser, then students/patrons have no
access to e-mail (unless it's web based) or Netscape Composer. I think the
current version of Navigator is 4.08, and it can be downloaded from Netscape's
home page.

Once you disable Netscape Composer, your students may find that they can use
WordPad, the crude word processor that comes with Windows 95/98 and NT, to
write out papers. If you decide you want to disable that, it can be done during
the setup process (at least in NT).

Good luck,

Mary
--
Mary C. Martin, Computer/Technical Services Librarian
Fort Smith Public Library