[WEB4LIB] Dr. Laura is on topic

Nick Arnett listbot at mccmedia.com
Mon May 3 11:36:38 EDT 1999

Perhaps those who challenge you with Dr. Laura's ideas should be asked what
they think are the missions of your respective institutions.  No matter how
she might see herself, radio stations are in the business of delivering
listeners to advertisers; whatever does that best is what gets on the
air.  Library missions are not even faintly along those lines.  As
alternative sources of information -- points of view -- become more
accessible, I would hope that people begin to think more about why messages
like Dr. Laura's get air time.

Personally, I see her as a predator, pandering to both callers and her
audience, helping neither one.  Perhaps it is overly contemptuous, but I
have a hard time believing that either one has any real desire for
counsel.  It's entertainment masquerading as the truth, which is very
dangerous, especially when it turns people against institutions whose
missions are not so cynical.

Nick