Censorship / on Topic

David Merchant merchant at bayou.com
Mon May 3 11:31:13 EDT 1999

Aye, Matt. To some of the comments: both sides, pro-filtering and
anti-filtering, can get extremist.  Both sides have some truth, and both
sides have propaganda (when we blow things out of proportion, we weaken our
cause.  A truth can stand on its own, without embelishments or
exaggerations).  Both sides look through filtered vision.  Both sides have
"holier-than-thou" stances and attitude (which many religions actually deem
a sin, Christ saved his anger, for instance, not against sinners, but at
the religious who were "holier-than-thou" and who condemned those not like
them).  I have been guilty of some of this, I apologize.  Censorship is
something that does affect libraries and their connecting to the web, so
this discusion is on topic, but we do need to realize that someone can
disagree with us without being evil (gasp!), that some people can honestly
be misguided and so we shouldn't condemn them outright (after all, that can
backfire and make them dig in deeper into their opinion).  Heck, we could
even be wrong in our opinion (but that is soooo hard to even admit the
possibility of to ourselves, yet we easily ask it of others.).

TTFN,
David

Systems Librarian, Louisiana Tech University  <www.latech.edu/tech/library/>
javascript list administrator  <www.mountaindragon.com/javascript>