legitimate criticism?

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Sun May 2 12:15:14 EDT 1999

I'm sure that most list members are tired of this little thread but one of
Mr. Burt's comments really struck a nerve with me.  Specifically:

"With 20 million daily listeners, this is great. The American
people are finally starting to hear about ALA's porn pushing to children."

If Mr. Burt is going to equate providing a link to an educational
resource, of which one sub-section includes discussion of a wide-variety
of sexual activities, with "porn pushing to children", he has crossed the
line of legitimate criticism and has become reckless and irresponsible
with his comments.  By this kind of reasoning, a library that owns "The
Joy of Sex" - as Mr. Burt's library does - is pushing pornography in the
community as it also provides both written and visual depictions of a wide
variety of sexual activities.

I also wonder now if the web site that I host, which is also a TeenHoopla
link will be the next to join Mr. Burt's "enemies" list.  The site which
is a series of book reviews of Young Adult books includes book lists which
deal with drug use and other teen issues(homosexuality, etc.).  The titles
on these lists often discuss drug use, sexual behavior, etc. in a
realistic way from a teen's viewpoint.  Will we be the next site accused
of advocating [fill-in-the-blank] because it acknowledges that these
issues are issues that young adults are dealing with??  Maybe it would be
better that the lists are "sanitized" so that young adults never learn of
any books that might "offend" their tender minds....

Andrew Mutch