[WEB4LIB] Docking Ports: Was Abandon Library Computer Labs

Alma E. Garcia almag at mills.edu
Mon Mar 22 11:32:41 EST 1999

Here at Mills were have talked about providing this service for our
students.  What we envision is network connections that students will plug
their laptop to and connect to the campus network.  Our ITS department has
suggested students receive training on connecting to the network;  they
would also be assigned an IP address that they can use from any
building on the campus.

We are still in the talking stage of this project, and my try to offer it
on a trail basis in the fall.

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Donald Barclay wrote:

> In the discussion about checking out laptops, Darryl Friesen mentioned
> "'docking stations' where students could plug in their own laptops." Does
> anyone have experience with docking stations in a library? Are the docking
> stations just ordinary network drops? If so, what software, cards, etc.
> would users have to have on their laptops to access a docking station? Does
> the Library have to spend a lot of time and/or money helping users set up
> their laptops so they can dock? Thanks for any  information on this one.
>

> Donald A. Barclay
> Houston Academy of Medicine-       always the beautiful answer
> Texas Medical Center Library           who asks the more beautiful question
> donaldb at library.tmc.edu                                   -- e. e. cummings

Alma Garcia
Library System Administrator
almag at mills.edu