[WEB4LIB] Study, learning, communication and libraries.

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Sat Mar 20 19:12:34 EST 1999

I should know better than to respond to you, Don, but I can't help myself.

At 02:54 PM 3/20/99 -0800, Don Saklad wrote:
>1. Are any of you folks out there against limiting library users' Web
>based email?

I'm sure there are, as I'll bet that fewer than half of libraries block
this function.

>2. Are any of you folks out there against limiting library users' chat
>conversations via the net?
Same answer as above.  Of course even in those places that permit it, they
may have regulations to make sure resources are shared.  And, limiting
users to one hour (or whatever) at a time if others are waiting is just the
same as having a three week (or whatever) circulation period for books.  In
either one, you can generally "renew" the resource if someone else doesn't
have a "hold" or "reservation" on it.

>3. How do free speech principles apply?
They don't.  Free speech has absolutely nothing to do with it.

>4. Should our Cambridge public library continue to forbid use of
>cellular telephones in the building?
I don't know.  As far as I'm concerned, using a cell phone in a library is
OK if done in an appropriate (i.e. relatively noisy rather than quiet
study) place.  Of course that also assumes that the phone user isn't being
too loud.  In fact, I'd consider it to be no different than any other
talking....it is appropriate in some places and not in others.  Of course
what Cambridge Public does is THEIR BUSINESS, and what any of us in other
libraries may think doesn't mean a hoot to them.  Nor should it.

>5. Would not communicating ideas be a part of the very same principles
>for the mission and mandate of libraries?
Like any other communications, there are appropriate times and places.  I'm
sure you know the famous "yelling fire in a crowded theater" example, and
numerous others come to mind.  Shouting down a speaker.  Interrupting a
professor (or your boss).  Yelling in church (at least most
churches).  etc. etc. etc.  Libraries are no different than other
agencies.  They have rules to maximize the utility of their services to all.

>6. Why would library users be limited to recording ideas for later
>communication instead of using recent technology to communicate about
>ideas more readily?
I'm sure there's a hidden agenda behind that question.  Maybe you mean that
you're limited to photocopying instead of emailing?  If so, see
above.  Also, in case you've forgotten, every library I've ever heard of
has limited resources that may have something to do with their regulations.

>7. How about a louder separate reading room where people can talk, use
>cellular equipment and communicate via email and chat type computer
>programs and Web sites.
Fine.  If a library wants to make such a place, great.  But I'd sure never
tell anyone else to do so.  They have their own priorities, budget, space
limitations, staffing issues, patron demands, ad infinitum.  Many libraries
do have "small meeting rooms" where a few people can talk, etc.  But not
every library has the space or demand for such.

>8. Is not communication a form of learning?

Well, yes and no.  I'm sure that not ALL communication is a form of
learning, and it depends on both the communicator and the
communicatee.  Are you learning from THIS communication?  Or will you
simply flame in reply?  If the latter, be sure to send it to me privately,
rather than to the list, as we're already getting near the edge of
appropriateness for this list.

cheers

dan in 70 degree Boise
(and, Don, see first line of sig.....it is relevant to this discussion)

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165