[WEB4LIB] Re: Thin clients for web OPACs

James Klock j-klock at evanston.lib.il.us
Fri Mar 19 14:47:34 EST 1999

At 01:15 PM 3/19/99 -0500, you wrote:
>This looks interesting. Can anyone tell me if the Citrix ICA is available
>for use on a general linux client? Has anyone used linux with the ICA to
>access windows apps on a citrix/metaframe server?

The typical Network Computer (as far as I've observed) supports both X
Window and WinFrame ICA sessions.  The two are distinct in this case-- you
can typically configure the NC to initiate either an X Window session or an
ICA session, or sometimes both.

In addition, Citrix began shipping an ICA client for Linux last September.
It is freely available for download from Citrix's website, and augments
their existing clients for SCO Unix, Sun Solaris, HP-UX, IBM AIX, Digital
UNIX and SGI IRIX.  See http://www.citrix.com/news/releases/prsept1798.htm .

It should be noted that "a general linux client" is at best a misleading
phrase;  while at least one NC uses a Linux kernel (the aforementioned
Corel Computer NetWinder LC), most do not run Linux locally, but rather run
a proprietary, third-party operating system developed by the manufacturer
specifically for their hardware.  This is why I include two seperate
answers to the question-- the first comments on the possibilities of using
ICA with NCs, the second answers the question as asked, and assumes that
the Linux clients are being run on desktop-size PCs that happen to run
Linux as their operating system.

James