[WEB4LIB] College catalogues

Kevin W. Bishop bishopk at rpi.edu
Fri Mar 19 11:37:04 EST 1999

Cal,

I won't claim that we're pushing the envelope of course catalog
hyper-linking, but feel free to take a look at ours (req. frames-enabled
browser):

<http://www.rpi.edu/dept/catalog/98-99/>

Anyone's comments are welcome.

-kb

At 12:09 PM 3/18/99 -0800, Calvin Boyer wrote:
>Does the contractual characteristic of the college catalog somehow
>interfere with adding links and cross links throughout the text?  Unlike
>the foremost commercially-published electronic subject monographs, most
>college catalogues have yet to exploit aggressively such linking
>opportunities.  Yet the number of times the average undergraduate needs
>to consult the college catalog would seem sufficient reason for such
>full exploitation using these electronic capabilities.
>
>Are there examples of college catalogs which have pushed the envelope as
>far as some of the electronic monographs?
>

>Cal
>
>Calvin Boyer
>
>http://web.lwc.edu/administrative/library/boyer.htm
>
>Longwood College Library
>Farmville, VA 23909
>(804) 395-2083

Kevin W. Bishop
Campus-Wide Information System Coordinator
Libraries and Information Services
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
110 8th St. Troy, NY, 12180-3590
(518) 276-8332   Fax  276-8559