Arbitrary knee jerk over reactive authoritarians and public libraries.

Don Saklad dsaklad at martigny.ai.mit.edu
Thu Mar 11 04:28:49 EST 1999

[http://www.bookwire.com/ljdigital/leadnews.article$27564]

..."You have the right as a citizen to express your opinion," wrote
[Charles] Brown and [Elizabeth] Feinberg. "You may not initiate
discussion of that opinion on work time nor route that opinion to
staff at work. Your letter to MINITEX, which was subsequently routed
to cataloging staff, is inappropriate."...

[http://www.bookwire.com/ljdigital/leadnews.article$27564]

We need to recruit more innovative more open public library
leadership, looking outside the institutional culture of library and
information technology programs graduates didacticism.

Change the institutional culture of our public libraries.

Our public library environment should be one that rewards creativity,
rather than so suppressive like so may of the self proclaimed
intellectual freedom advocates who can not even put aside quibbling
and trivial prejudices to fulfill in practice their own principles
pronounced when convenient and forgotten when inconvenient.