Biographies, LC, and Sirsi

Margaret Hogarth mhogarth at eee.org
Mon Mar 8 14:38:30 EST 1999

Hello:
I am a brand-new librarian working on my first project: to make the
biographies more accessible. The initial assignment is to make a list of
biographical subjects that we own materials on and that students will
recognize. This is for a community college library. The results are to
be, initially, a paper handout, later, an aid added to the web
site.While working on a list and some subject headings, I am troubled by
the static nature of my results. I'm wondering if there is a way to have
Sirsi run behind-the-scenes programs that pull this information out of
the catalog on the fly. We are just converting to WebCat. Making the
catalog work for us seems like a better idea. Does anyone have
suggestions and/or experience with this type of function, or another
idea to make biographies more accessible? Grouping the biographies as
done in a public library has already been nixed.
I appreciate your input,
Margaret Hogarth mhogarth at eee.org