[WEB4LIB] Report Uncovers Epidemic of Children Viewing Porn In Libraries

Robert J. Tiess rjtiess at warwick.net
Thu Mar 4 07:50:34 EST 1999

Quoting the "Conclusion and Recommendations" of _Dangerous Access_
(http://www.filteringfacts.org/da-main.htm):

>    The incidents presented here speak for themselves. There can be
>    no doubt that open access to pornography for children in public
>    libraries poses a growing social problem.

The problem, before, during, and after this is not the Internet.  The
problem is not the public library or its public servants.  Children
and adults actively seeking such material to detrimental extents
suffer from a lack of firm family-encoded morals and values.  This is
a social problem that transcends technology and demands a real
solution, not the temporary bandage the best filter can hope to be.
This is a problem that cannot be solved by constraining public
libraries.  Suprisingly enough, it has always been this simple:
Parents, teach your children well.

Technology aside, this is an issue that must be restored to its human
context, one that transcends the setting of public libraries and
reveals this situation rests squarely in the hands of parents and
guardians who, perhaps, could spend more time with their children,
teaching them right and wrong.  If there truly is an "epidemic" of
"harmful access," the panacea is not sterilizing the Internet, ISPs or
its administrators.  The vaccine of values must be rediscovered by
parents and used.  It is the only known cure.  Quarantining the public
library is not the solution, neither is performing a quack operation
on the Constitution in the name of "protection."  Whatever your
personal ailments, prognosis, or current prescription, you are urged
to hear a second, third, fourth and fifth opinion.  More:

RE (quoting the report - http://www.filteringfacts.org/da-main.htm):
>    Recommendations for Public Libraries:
>
>    Install filtering software on all Internet stations accessible to
>    minors.
>    Remove privacy screens that encourage illegal activities.
>    Enforce rules against displaying pornographic material in a public
>    setting.

This will not stop the problem.  Values, not filters, are the answer.

RE (quoting the report - http://www.filteringfacts.org/da-main.htm):
>    Recommendations for Congress and State Governments:
>    Pass legislation requiring that all public schools and libraries
>    must employ effective measures to prevent children from accessing
>    pornography as a condition for receiving government funding.

This certainly will not stop the problem.  Values, not filters, are
the answer.

RE (quoting the report - http://www.filteringfacts.org/da-main.htm):
>    Recommendations for Parents:
>
>    Find out what your local public library's policy is regarding
>    children's Internet access.
>    Use filtering software or a filtered Internet provider for home
>    Internet access.

Do, and don't, respectively.  Values, not filters are the answer.
I do not believe those are not helpful recommendations; it places all
the control elsewhere and removes guardians from the role as primary
parental influence.  This is unacceptable.  Parents must be involved,
actively, in their child's development on and off the Internet.  They
must accept, at all times, complete responsibility for their children,
until those children are of age to make mature decisions.

Now, here are some real recommendations for parents and guardians:

1.   Raise your children properly, reading to them, cultivating their
     intelligence and moral character so they may choose properly when
     presented with something challenging their beliefs and morals.
     Life has no filters.

2.   Learn about the Internet, how to search for information on the
     Internet, spend time developing Internet proficiency, and
     bookmark sites you know will benefit you and your family.
     Endeavor after good information.  Your library can likely help
     you find good Internet sites.

3.   Discuss the Internet with your family and remain positive.

4.   Understand, no matter how many arguments and legislative attempts
     you see, libraries will never be equipped to take upon parental
     roles and protect your child.  Only you can protect your child.
     Libraries are not day care centers.

5.   Children do not raise themselves.  Actively participate in their
     lives and be interested always.  Your attention, love, and
     guidance will empower them to lead a better life and render better
     decisions.

6.   Understand there are those in this world who are using the
     Internet filter issue to advance their anti-democratic agendas, in
     which human speech is sterilized and everything published must be
     approved or strained of content deemed to be unsuitable.  Recall
     all those who perished to preserve the free speech we enjoy today.

7.   Understand that television, radio, theatres, and print publications
     at the local supermarket all contain some degree of potentially
     offensive words or images.  The Internet is merely another medium.
     The Internet is not evil.  You have complete control over the
     Internet, deciding where to go and what not to view.  You have that
     full power as long as you do not adopt filters.  Retain that power.

8.   Remember, always, filters can never claim to block 100% of
     potentially offensive content online.  Never.  The Internet grows
     much too swiftly and is a multilingual environment containing a
     staggering diversity of data.  No filter can block every single
     possible instance of potential offense.  That is a fact.

9.   Understand libraries in the United States must perform pursuant to
     the Constitution and cannot take measures to abridge free speech.
     The Supreme Court has ruled and will continue to rule consistently
     on this, and anything threatening free speech and intellectual
     freedom--anything--must be avoided.  Filters are unconstitutional,
     especially in public settings.

10.  Only you know what is best for your child.  Educate yourself on
     these matters and choose wisely.  The only proven, enduring filter
     is your set of values, something technology will never be able to
     approximate.  Impart those values to your children and they will
     have all they need.  This is the universal human solution that will
     work when children go offline and back into the real world.

For more on this, visit "Values, Not Filters":

	http://members.tripod.com/~rtiess/networth

Respectfully submitted,

Robert J. Tiess
rjtiess at warwick.net