Safe Mode Redux

Jeff Papier jpapier at lmx-gws.lmxac.org
Mon Mar 1 16:57:19 EST 1999

I appreciate the various email messages I received re disabling safe mode.
Alas, almost all of them presupposed the proper functioning of msdos.sys
on our Win95/98 PC's.  Much experimentation coupled with careful checking
of attributes of this file has shown me that its settings can't be relied
on, at least on the near-dozen machines I tried.

Jay S. kindly sent some keyboard-disabling software which, while
promising, still didn't block users from entering Safe Mode after multiple
powerdowns of system.

Kyle H. suggested using PC-Rdist, which rebuilds the registry and file
system of a PC.  The "intact" registry and filesystem can be stored on a
server, and automatically or "manually" distributed to all PC's on the
LAN in a variety of ways.

It's this image-building technique I'm going to opt for, now that I've
linked the PC's in question to an NT 4.0 Server.

If anyone has words of wisdom to add to PC-Rdist's own documentation
pages online, ie your personal experience with this package, problems,
laurels of praise, please let me know.  Playing around with it for a
while over NT leads me to an early assessment of "sure seems handy..."

Thanks,
J Papier
Internet / Network Librarian
South Brunswick Public Library