[WEB4LIB] Academic Library Web Pages

Joe H. Rose Rosej at mails.flcoll.edu
Mon Mar 1 17:04:29 EST 1999

Tami-Jo Eckley <eckleyt at mville.edu> wrote:

> I would like to know if any of you are completely in charge of what goes
> into your Home Page/Site or if you need to be consistent with the rest of
> the college's site.  Do you need to answer to the college's Webmaster or
> does the library have autonomy.  I would really appreciate input on this
> since we are currently undergoing major change at Manhattanville
> College, and at present, we must answer to the College Webmaster.

I hope some of you Academic folks will respond online to this, as this is a
question that has just come up as I've started to try to update and improve
what is called the "library home page" on our site.  I've come up against a
department which controls what is put on and when, through a committee
which doesn't meet, using policies that are not published.  I'm trying to
write a short "memo" right now arguing why the library should have
control over its own content, must have timely access to getting it on the
web site, and that the web site must be used for something more than just
a public relations tool.  Any help posted to Tami-Jo will be of great use to
me also, so please either forward it to the list, or put my address in the
CC field.

Thanks,  Joe

Joe H. Rose
rosej at flcoll.edu