Advertiser-supported free net access

ernest perez perez at opac.osl.state.or.us
Wed Mar 31 21:18:27 EST 1999

<http://www.netzero.com/index.html>

No-cost ISP access! The network portals continue opening up for the access-disadvantaged....

Yep, Capitalism triumphs once again. Now there's a free ISP called NetZero which provides net access & email (and their ad banner-equipped browser) at no cost. Local dialup in something like 600 cities. Nope, it's not Universal Service, but that's a lot of access points. Their site has a handy directory of access numbers arranged by state & city.

Here's text from their home page blurbs...
"Free Internet Access:
  What do you pay for your Internet service?  $19.95 a month?$17.95?  A little less? More?
   Whatever you're paying, we don't think you should have to. That's why NetZero gives it all to you for free!  No monthly charges.  No sign up fees.  No e-mail fees. Every month, you pay NOTHING!
   Zero. Zip. Nada. The big goose egg."

NetZero claims this free net access is worth about $250/year. Well, maybe that's a bit inflated. Not that $10 to $20 isn't a fairly common ISP rate. But from their site information, it appears that they DON'T provide Web page space, so that limitation should get discounted from a regular ISP-level of service. Plus, support's pretty limited to online help files and e-mail interaction, a bit less than a commercial ISP generally provides.

So that means they're only adding dial-in net & browser access to the advertising-supported free e-mail that's already provided by many vendors. On the other hand, that's actually quite nice. You get personal e-mail, FTP, Telnet, etc., dialup access without having to travel down to your local library, office, or educational institution. And without having to crowd in or get limited-time reservations on crowded public-access terminals. Plus, if you really want a Web page, there's dozens of Web sites that already provide this. So you really can get the whole Magilla at no cost.

I haven't used it myself, but saw it favorably covered in a PC Magazine blurb. Seems like a useful resource for those of us on a budget. And for those who want local dialup while traveling, without a premium cost. I know my ISP charges extra if you want to upgrade to the nationwide local dialup option. (Hmmm. I'm about to talk myself into dropping my own ISP!)

Sounds like another one of those nifty freebies that may be of use to many of our patrons or institutions. Assuming the PC Mag writeup on satisfactory performance is true. So, I suggest you may want to include NetZero in your orientation and network information packages. Yet another reason the library "adds value" to information service!

Cheers,
-ernest