[WEB4LIB] Web snapshots for presentations

Mark Gooch Mark.Gooch at law.csuohio.edu
Tue Mar 30 01:25:23 EST 1999

I like to use the "Edit Page" function of Netscape which essentially opens
the page in Netscape Composer.  This also downloads all of the associated
images/graphicsand modifies the HTML so that the images/graphics appear
properly.  I do this for each page I want for my demo and then use the
editing features of Composer to link the pages together.  I suggest that if
you are doing several sites you keep each one in its own directory for
better organization. The real trick is to link a search page with a results
page this is a rather easy thing to do:

1.    Download and save the search page as indicated above without entering
search terms.
2.     Do the search and download and save the results page.
3.    Using a text editor such as Notepad, go into the HTML of the search
page and find the <form method=     action=> (the order of method and action
may vary) tag.
4.    Set the method to get (method="get") and the action to the name of the
results file (action="filename.html").

This should then allow you to click on the search (or comparable) button and
get your results page.  (The really neat thing is you are always guaranteed
the correct results:)  I have found this to be very successful and it is
difficult to determine whether you are online or offline.  Let me know if
you have any questions about my process.

Thanks
Mark

"Greg D. Schmitz" wrote:

> Browsing through the archive, I noticed that the subject of web snapshot
>
> programs has not come up on Web4Lib for a while. We have tried
> Webwhacker, but we are not really satisfied with it because it can only
> grab certain pages (that don't have CGI searches) and seems to hang up a
>
> lot.
>
> What programs have other librarians found are fast, easy to use, and
> appropriate for the following?:
>
> 1) Grabbing web pages in their entirety while on-line
> 2) Displaying them off-line in a point-and-click method
> 3) Allow grabbing of pages that are the result of CGI searches (for
> example, let's me grab the page where I type in my search, and then also
>
> grabs the results for later display).
>
> I know there are ways of using grabbed images together with PowerPoint,
> but what we are most interested in is a program that would simulate the
> use of Netscape off-line.
>
> Thanks in advance for any specific suggestions!
>
> Greg D. Schmitz
> Reference Librarian
> Oshkosh Public Library
>
> --
> Greg D. Schmitz
> Reference Librarian, Oshkosh Public Library
> 106 Washington Avenue, Oshkosh, WI 54901
> Phone: (920) 236-5205 Fax: (920) 236-5227
> schmitz at winnefox.org
> http://axp.winnefox.org/www/

Mark Gooch, Government Information Librarian
Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Library
Cleveland State University
1801 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio  44115
(216) 687-5579 Tel.