[WEB4LIB] Re: Academic Web Pages

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Thu Mar 18 13:41:49 EST 1999

Appalachian State University Library:
Full autonomy over the server

Advantages:
1. We have full control of the server.
   choosing-
      General Server software - NT, Linux, Digital Unix, etc.
      Webserver software - MSII, Netscape, Apache, etc.
      other applications for library use from that server - syslog,
telnetd, Books in Print, etc.
   changing-
      any of the previously mentioned software - from NT to Linux,
Netscape to Apache, etc.

Disadvantages:
1. We have full control of the server.
   when it "breaks" I have to fix it. :)  This means I have to spend
time troubleshooting the breakdown and correcting it rather than working
on other projects.
   Although the server belongs to the Library, it is housed in the
campus Computing Center.  This is good for the server in that it is
directly tied in the Center's UPS, they also have cleaner and better
environmental control than in the Library, and the network connection is
not as good if it would be housed in the Library.  The disadvantage in
this situation is if I need to install to the server or check the server
directly, I have to go over to the Computing Center in any kind of
weather, rain, sleet, snow, or gloom of night.

TMGB

Susan Acampora wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> Having read the responses to Tami-Jo's question, it appears that most
> libraries have a lot of autonomy in the development of their web sites.  I
> wonder how many libraries are running and maintaining their own web servers
> as opposed to having "full control access to the library web site" held on a
> server maintained by the college's or university's MIS depts.
>
> Would you share with me what you feel are the advantages/disadvantages of
> whichever setup you use.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Susan Acampora
> Systems Librarian
> College of New Rochelle

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  828 262 6587			FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine