[WEB4LIB] RE: Purchasing a server for a small library

Michael J. Dargan miked at tsaw03.wplwloo.lib.ia.us
Fri Mar 5 15:47:50 EST 1999

For what you're doing a slightly out-moded workstation might be just the
ticket.  For instance, I've seen Compaq 5000s on sale for as little as
$799 without a monitor.  They have built in SCSI HD, 10/100 Ethernet, and
a Pentium Pro 200 processor.  You'd probably want to up the RAM to at
least 64--which is a bit pricey--but it should be a very fast, reliable
machine.

You could also look at refurbished Micron workstations.  Lots of power
plus a warranty.

--mike