[WEB4LIB] Re: underlining on or off on public web stations

Margaret F. Dikel mfriley at erols.com
Fri Mar 5 08:56:43 EST 1999

At 01:34 PM 3/4/99 -0800, Avi Rappoport wrote:

>Underlining links is a standard on the web, and something that most
>users are thoroughly familiar with.

I'd like to correct a bit of terminology here which most people
in this discussion seem to be using.

Underlining is a standard in web browsers, not "on the web."  It is a
locally-controlled function of the software, not a part of the HTML
markup which designs the page.

If designers would stop using email addresses, file names, and other
linkages with underscores in them, then leaving the browser's default
setting of underlining links would not be a problem.   However, how many
of us have copied information incorrectly because we could not see
the underscore?  And if the same designers would not make links the
same color as other text, the problem would not be so apparent.

Margaret

Margaret Dikel, MSLIS
11218 Ashley Dr.                The Riley Guide
Rockville, MD  20852         www.rileyguide.com
301-984-4229                    www.dbm.com/jobguide
301-984-6390 FAX           mfriley at erols.com