[WEB4LIB] Academic Library Web Pages

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Tue Mar 2 10:13:11 EST 1999

Appalachian State University Library's website began on a unix server
which originally stored the campus web pages also.  We have had complete
control over our pages from the beginning.  Since November 1997 we have
had an Alpha NT server completely under library control.  This server we
received was part of a UNC System wide program to put independent web
servers in every UNC System Library and each library was given a choice
for intel or alpha servers and web server software.  So the server
actually belongs to UNC General Administration but we have complete
autonomy over the computer.  At the present I am seriously considering
moving from NT to LINUX this is the type of depth of control we have on
our server.  Recently the ASU campus website had a "facelift" and the
link to the library from that page brought up a menu in a frame beside
the menu choice which had only a partial selection from our home page.
Since their "facelift" we have redesigned our home page, by choice, to
have a similar look.  Since our redesign the ASU campus link now links
directly to our home page, how about a little honey, eh? :)    We
created our own web policy,
http://www.library.appstate.edu/Admin/Policy/LibraryWebDevelopmentPolicy.html
,and included in our policy is to abide by the campus policy which is a
basic "be nice" policy.  It looks like the UNC system libraries might be
unique in the support and funding that was given us by General
Administration.  I'm curious to know if any other institutions have
received their web servers from a similar source.

Thomas

Tami-Jo Eckley wrote:

> I would like to know if any of you are completely in charge of what goes
> into your Home Page/Site or if you need to be consistent with the rest of
> the college's site.  Do you need to answer to the college's Webmaster or
> does the library have autonomy.  I would really appreciate input on this
> since we are currently undergoing major change at Manhattanville
> College, and at present, we must answer to the College Webmaster.
>
> Tami-Jo Eckley
> Electronic Services & Media Librarian
> Manhattanville College Library
> Purchase, NY 10577

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  828 262 6587			FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine