CITRIX ICA protocol and proxy servers

Jean-Marc Edwards jedwards at uottawa.ca
Tue Mar 2 07:45:33 EST 1999

Dear list members,

Our library is in the process of setting up a proxy server. That server
will allow our users who are not using machines with our University IP
addresses to access our University IP restricted databases. Many
University libraries have done this.

The testing is going well but for one thing :

We have 35 CD-ROM databases accessible through the Web using WinFrame
and its ICA protocol. These databases can not be launched if the browser
request goes through the proxy server we are currently testing. The
proxy in between seems to do something that prevents the launching. (We
have a Read Timeout message or a message that says that the server is
not available)

Has anyone with a similar configuration encountered such problem with
WinFrame ICA protocol and the use of a proxy server for IP restricted
databases. If you have encountered that and know of a solution I would
be glad to know about it. This is holding us up.

We definetely would like our users to access the WinFrame server through
the proxy since we have a fairly large number of CD-ROMs available using
WinFrame.

Thanks

Jean-Marc Edwards
Systems Librarian, University of Ottawa