[WEB4LIB] File Allocation Tables? Anyone, anyone?!

Michael Sauers msauers at bcr.org
Tue Jun 29 18:56:34 EDT 1999

> I have a question regarding Windows 95 and FAT 32. When you install
> Windows 95 it seems to install FAT16. I have a SCSI adapter that
> requires one 32-bit PCI bus expansion slot on a Pentium class computer.
> It says it runs under Windows 95.
> My question is why is the PCI device 32-bit and the regular file system
> 16? What are my options here? Sorry, this is an amateur question, but I
> require your indulgence...

They two concepts have nothing to do with each other.

The FAT system has to do with the size of the blocks on the hard drive.
FAT32 uses smaller blocks for storage on your drive than FAT16 and is
therefore uses your drive more efficiently.

The PCI slot is hardware related and is on your motherboard if you have one
(a PCI slot, I'll assume your computer has a motherboard.)  ISA slots are
still standard on all motherboards and usually take things like video and
modem boards.  These use a 16-bit addressing structure.  PCI slots are
newer, and use a 32-bit addressing structure.

In your case, you either have a PCI slot for your SCSI card or not.  It has
nothing to do with which FAT you may be using on your drives.

             Michael Sauers, Internet Trainer
         Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
              Aurora, CO :: msauers at bcr.org
         PGP public Key and other info available @
              http://www.bcr.org/~msauers
             The WWW Library Directory is @
         http://www.webpan.com/msauers/libdir/

  "Government did not become more responsive due to
 online users; it just became more responsive to them."
          -- Eli M. Noam, Columbia University
         "Will the Internet Be Bad for Democracy?
                      NetFuture #91

  Opinions expressed are my own unless otherwise noted.