[WEB4LIB] all in one search engines and search techniques

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Tue Jun 29 08:20:29 EDT 1999

There is a chart at the bottom of the page of this URL:
http://www.library.appstate.edu/reference/internet.html#Search Engines

which is a comparison of some characteristics that few major search
engines allow.

Thomas

Andrea Mandel wrote:

> At our library we are trying to assist in enabling our patrons to me
> more independent when using the computer.  We try to offer as many
> handouts as possible to enable them to reach their goals most
> effectively.  Since most of the search engines differ as to how to form
> booleans, etc (many better at differing searches!) - is there any site
> that offers characteristics of each that we may use to pass on to our
> patrons?  Also, I use both Metacrawler and Dogpile if I am having
> trouble finding something with the traditional search engines.  I have
> found them to be inconsistant often not even giving me sites remotely
> related to my search terms.  Is there better "all-in-ones"?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Andrea Mandel
> Librarian
> Marple Public Library
> Broomall, PA  19008
> 610-356-1510
> mandel at voicenet.com

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  828 262 6587			FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine