[WEB4LIB] Re: Outgoing Security

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Mon Jun 14 23:51:36 EDT 1999

Paul,

One route I thought of was to create a batch file that would run from an
icon on the desktop.  The file would first open a pop-up box with your
policies, etc. presented and a button for patrons to click on to indicate
their acceptance of the policy.  This button click would then close the
pop-up box and launch Netscape, starting the Internet session.  It seems
that this would be a fairly easy project to do in VB.

Having mucked around quite a bit in Netscape, I don't think there is a way
using the browser and javascript to do what you want to do, unless you are
willing to spend the money on 3rd party software to lock down the browser
to prevent any way for patrons to enter their own URLs...location bar,
CRTL-O, etc.  That's why I think you'll want to explore methods external
to Netscape first.

RE: the time-out issue...hopefully, someone can come up with that piece of
the puzzle!

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library