Outgoing Security

Paul H. Gray phgray at tcjc.cc.tx.us
Mon Jun 14 17:38:05 EDT 1999

I have seen many interesting Java Scripts etc to password protect files so
people have to authenticate before they can get IN.

I am looking for something that prevents patrons from getting OUT.

We have a 'home page' that lists our policies.  At the bottom of that page
is the notice that continued use of the system implies agreement with these
policies -- along with a link that takes the user own to our menu page.

Of course all a user has to do is type in a url in the destination box and
move on.

What my librarians would like is something that REQUIRED the user to click
a 'Yes I agree' button before they could leave this page.  We are not
necessarily interested in usernames or passwords -- just requiring an action.

A related need here is for some way to cause Netscape after a specific
period of inactivity and/or upon attempted closing to default to this
'rules' page so that we are doing all we can to be sure every user sees
this page when they come to the station.

We CAN'T be the only one working in this direction-
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Paul H. Gray
Learning Resources Manager
TCC Northeast Campus Library