Fw: Re: Government Web Site Taking Paid Ads?

Shirl Kennedy skenned1 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jun 11 05:59:42 EDT 1999

Interesting topic surfaces on the GOVPUB mailing list.  Have any of y'all
confronted this issue re: paid ads on your (public sector) library Web
pages?  Various city officials make this "suggestion" to me from time to
time.  So far, I've managed to fend them off with a variety of common
sense-type arguments:

1.  As a public entity, must we accept ads from anyone and everyone?
(Yikes!)
2.  What happens the first time someone gets fleeced and/or injured after
they patronize one of our advertisers?  We are likely the entity with the
deepest pockets...
3.  If a paid advertisement appears on any of our Web pages, does it not
look like an endorsement by us...regardless of how many disclaimers we post?
4.  How or by whom will the ads be sold?  I don't think we have anyone
in-house with the ability to handle this function?  Shall we outsource?  In
which case, how profitable can the whole venture be, considering that there
is currently a glut of Web advertising space anyhow?
5.  It's tacky and it may well annoy the public.

Shirl Kennedy
Web Doyenne
City of Clearwater (Florida)
http://www.clearwater-fl.com

We are not afraid to entrust the American people
with unpleasant facts, foreign ideas, alien philosophies,
and competitive values. For a nation that is afraid
to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an
open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.
     -- John F. Kennedy