[WEB4LIB] Browsers

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Fri Jun 4 15:07:51 EDT 1999

To reiterate somewhat what David Merchant said and from my recollection,
academic Netscape never had to be paid for under the "Limited Right to
Copy Educational Institutions" [LRCEI] agreement since before July
1996.  I think at that time IE had not become free also.  Netscape was
also available (as an improved Mosaic from one of it's creators) before
M$IE ever became a product.  And, the Netscape server software was also
free to Educational Institutions under the LRCEI agreement.  Our library
started using Netscape browser and I chose the Alpha Netscape web server
software on the premise that in the long run if any proprietary
additions were done to the server software it would be more apt that the
browser of the same brand would support changes. Well there's no longer
any worry seeing that Netscape quit supporting upgrades to the Alpha as
of version 2.01 Enterprise server.  At this point, as far as the browser
goes, one of our mottos here is "Don't fix it if it works".  I haven't
seen any recent global statistics to show the comparison of browser
usage recently to really tell if one is or is becoming more popular than
another, a link to this information would be appreciated.

Thomas

Peter Kendal wrote:

> Why do so many academic institutions use Netscape instead of IE?
> And why was this the case when Netscape had to be paid for?
>
> Pete
> Project Manager
> Walsall IT Support Centre
> Boundary House,
> The Walsall University Campus
> Gorway Road,
> Walsall
> http://www.witscentre.net
> WS1 3BD
> Direct line: (01902) 323085
> Fax 01922 440609
> Direct Fax 0870 0882341

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  828 262 6587			FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine