[WEB4LIB] Re: Browsers

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Fri Jun 4 14:46:19 EDT 1999

At 09:31 AM 6/4/99 -0700, morganj at iupui.edu wrote:
>In addition to the factors mentioned below, I'd add that Microsoft's java
>support seems less than enthusiastic, so Netscape might work better for
>some sites.  Also both IE and Netscape have become very large programs, so
>that we sometimes use Opera where speed is needed, and where hardware
>resources are limited.

Opera has some good points, but unless they decide to make it free, I can't
see widespread adoption among academic (or other) libraries.  We (the other
techies I work with and I) are pushing IE5, which isn't much of a push at
all.  Once my colleagues see that it opens about five times as fast when
they click it up, they're sold.

Our log analysis stats (http://library.boisestate.edu/statslink/index.htm
if you're really interested) show a change from fall quarter of 97 when it
was 83 percent NN, to the first quarter of 99 when it was 62 percent
NN.  Not a real rapid change, but one that seems to be continuing.

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165