USB and patron access

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Thu Jun 3 12:25:13 EDT 1999

Please pardon duplication.

Brainstorming time again!!

I'm experimenting with the concept of USB as a universal docking station for
my laptop. I have a hub with mouse and Zip drive. I could add a parallel port
adapter for the printer, and a modem (or serial adapter going to external
modem). Then I could bring in my laptop, plug in one connection, and be fully
connected!

Now, could this concept be used in a library, for access to various resources
by people who brought in a laptop? Maybe in a University environment, where
there was some standardization of hardware and/or software?

With one USB connection (plus power), a patron could gain network connection,
external mouse, Zip drive, external keyboard, digital sound, printer, scanner,
and who knows what else?

You'd *just* have to make it easy to load all the drivers!

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com or sales at anzio.com or support at anzio.com
 ftp://ftp.anzio.com               voice: 503-624-0360
http://www.anzio.com                 fax: 503-624-0760