[WEB4LIB] Re: scanner (and USB)

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Thu Jun 3 12:14:30 EDT 1999

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Thomas Edelblute wrote:

> I am currious, how do you handle IRQs with USBs.  Recently I have seen a USB
> mouse, and the mouse is IRQ 12, and a technician told me that a year or two from
> now everything will be USB because they are cheaper to make.  This leaves me
> wondering that if all periferals are going to plug into USB connections, how are
> they going to handle the IRQs.

I'll go out on a limb here. I believe IRQs are not an issue. Keep in mind that
the USB host controller is generally connected to the PCI bus, which can share
interrupts (unlike the old ISA bus).

I just checked the system on which I'm typing. The USB Host controller reports
that it is using IRQ 9. Neither the USB mouse nor the USB zip drive even has a
"Resources" tab. Also, several other PCI devices use IRQ 9, and report no
conflict, and work!

I have also experimented with USB serial ports, parallel ports, and modems.
Once the appropriate drivers are installed, they all work quite well.

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com or sales at anzio.com or support at anzio.com
 ftp://ftp.anzio.com               voice: 503-624-0360
http://www.anzio.com                 fax: 503-624-0760