[WEB4LIB] The next 5 years

sean dreilinger sean at savvysearch.com
Wed Jun 2 21:47:02 EDT 1999

Jonathan Esterhazy wrote:
> What I'm looking for is pretty ambiguous -- and all your questions fit.
> My sense is that the web is beginning to transform a lot of library services
> and functions in very fundamental ways, and that our public service and
> IT planning processes are not adequately preparing us for these changes.
> So I'm trying to put together a picture of where we will be in a few years,
> so we can work that into our long range planning (public services,
> collections, and technology planning) *now*.

for practical midrange advice on e-trends, the six trends identified by
an expert panel and mentioned c/o roy tennant in assorted LIS lists last
week are killer:
http://www.lita.org/committe/toptech/trendsmw99.htm

hey - anything which advocates mcdonald's fast-food tactics for the
reference desk is worth a look :-)

the ``What's Hot & New'' talk by Ulla de Stricker and Stephen Abram at
the ILI 99 conference was excellent -- maybe they could be persuaded to
make it available online somewhere. otherwise i may have notes. very
concise & upbeat look into the future of information profession[als] as
influenced by technology.

some grumpy feedback of my own contributed a UCLA library school
curriculum review last december:
http://durak.org/sean/pubs/dlis-feedback/node4.html

and the rosier first-take on the influence of technology on the
profession/ethics here:
http://durak.org/sean/pubs/librarian-to-cybrarian/node5.html
http://durak.org/sean/pubs/librarian-to-cybrarian/node6.html

really cool thread - nice to read everyone's thoughts this week
--sean

--
mailto:sean at savvysearch.com                sean dreilinger, mlis
 http://www.savvysearch.com                http://durak.org/sean