[WEB4LIB] Technical challenges for next generation web info systems

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Wed Jun 2 15:02:20 EDT 1999

Hi James/

>>> James Mason <jmason at pa.dec.com> 06/02 1:41 PM >>>
>I'd like to identify as many hard technical/ scientific problems and challenges we >face  in building new generations of web information technologies in terms of
>navigation, visualization,  document similarity, and other issues.

   I appreciate your interest in these areas.

>Can you suggest avenues to collect such
>problems/challenges or help build a list
>itself?

    In my working essay _Morning  Becomes Electric: Post-Modern Scholarly Information Access, Organization, and Navigation_
at [ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Morning.htm ]

   I speculate on the probable and possible scenarios for
information access, organization, and navigation.

   I am revising the essay at

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Morning3.htm

  Note in particular the Foundations section.

     Regards,

Gerry McKiernan
Science and Technology Librarian and Bibliographer
and
Associate Professor
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

   "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Invent It!"
                              Alan Kay
     http://ei.cs.vt.edu/~history/GASCH.KAY.HTML

cc: Web4Lib