The next 5 years

Carl R. Sandstedt csandste at mail.win.org
Tue Jun 1 18:06:01 EDT 1999

Forgive a public library director for jumping into this discussion but
several questions come to mind as we ponder the next five years:

1. Are those people using the computers in our libraries doing so because
of the help we provide, because they have no computer at home, or because
they're looking for bandwidth?

2. If bandwidth is the answer (none of my staff agrees with me that it is)
then what do we do when the average home has more DSL and cable modem
bandwidth than it knows what to do with?

3. Does anyone but librarians even care about Z39.50? and

4. If librarians had thought of making it a standard, would libraries be
using gopher instead of the WWW?

5. In other words does our penchant for organizing and forming committees
and standards groups get in the way when change is this rapid?

Carl R. Sandstedt
Director
St. Charles City-County Library District
PO Box 529--- 425 Spencer Road
Saint Peters, MO 63376-0529

314-441-2300, ext 1591
314-441-3132  Fax