Replaced by Search Engines [future of libraries]

Michael Sauers msauers at bcr.org
Tue Jun 1 14:41:31 EDT 1999

> hahahahahaha!  OK, if search engines get positronic brains and become
> related to Commander Data of Starfleet, then, and only then, will our
> traditional role slip away.

I love to use Ask Jeeves <http://www.aj.com> as an example of this one.  AJ
tries to interpret your questions and present it back to you, sort of a
computer based reference interview.  Usually it does quite well but try the
following question "What are the Riverbank Publications?"
and see what it thinks you're asking...

             Michael Sauers, Internet Trainer
         Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
              Aurora, CO :: msauers at bcr.org
                  www.bcr.org/~msauers
             The WWW Library Directory is @
             www.webpan.com/msauers/libdir/
          PGP Public Key available on request

     "Some say information should be free. It's not.
     Information is power. Information is currency."
                 --Billy Idol, Wasteland

  Opinions expressed are my own unless otherwise noted.