[WEB4LIB] AppSolute Server

Dennis Brantley dennis at dati.com
Tue Jun 22 17:08:37 EDT 1999

Barbara A Parker wrote:

> Hello Everyone--
>
> Does anyone have any experience with Microtest's new server product:
> AppSolute Server?  Is anyone out there currently using it as your cd-rom
> server?
>
> We have a proposal in hand that would install this server.  It would run
> NT/Citrix WinFrame.  We know that WinFrame is a good product because we
> have talked to systems people at institutions who use it and because a
> number of you have recommended its use via this list, but we've yet to
> talk to anyone who has an AppSolute Server.

Ahhh, life on the bleeding edge.  I read the specs on Microtest's
website and it says 'server technology from either Citrix™ or Microsoft™
'.  WinFrame, from Citrix, is an multi-user operating system based on NT
3.51 (ie. it doesn't run 'on top' of NT).  Windows Terminal Server, from
MicroSOFT, is a similar product based on NT 4.0, and when combined with
MetaFrame, also from Citrix, the two function much like WinFrame.  And
presumably Microtest has developed their software to be compatible with
both.  The big difference is in licensing.  MicroSOFT thinks that you
should pay per seat (this is specifically Terminal Server licensing, in
addition to NT client licensing), where Citrix licensing is based on
simultaneous use.  Make sure you know which you are getting and license
accordingly.  If you have 10,000 users, WTS will require 10,000
licenses, even if the server supports only 15 at a time.  And know that
some new applications may require NT 4.0 or higher.  For example, PAC
for Windows for the Dynix catalog system requires NT 4.0, and
consequently will not run on WinFrame.  It's the 'rock and a hard place'
thing.

If your goal is specifically to have a single server that provides
WinFrame multi-user access AND functions as a CD-ROM server, your
choices are a little limited.  If the total device count is 26 or less,
then WinFrame can handle it with no additional software.  But if you
want to run a lot of CD drives so that NT runs out of drive letters, you
need additional software, and again most current NT based CD management
software will require NT 4.0.  I like Microtest's DiscPort Executive for
NT software, but alas it doesn't run on WinFrame, so its use requires
two servers.  This AppSolute thing is new, and I am not familiar with
it, so I can't say whether it's a good choice or not.

On the other hand, if your goal is to provide Internet/remote access to
your CDs, your choices are much better.  Pick either WinFrame or
Terminal Server, then pick the CD technology.  For small collections, I
like using WinFrame servers with Axis StorPoint CD servers.  This
provides the same functionality of a combined server, with some system
level independence.  For larger collections, we have some sites with
WinFrame servers and a six pack of 9GB drives, and all the CDs go to
hard disc, and WinFrame serves them out with no concern for server-side
drive letter problems.  For those applications that absolutely,
positively have to be run from hard disc (these days, there are few), we
throw in a StorPoint with 7 or 14 CD/DVD drives.

One other fine point:  WinFrame is a great way to provide Internet or
remote access to your collection.  It can also be used to provide
application delivery to PCs on the LAN to eliminate CD desktop
installation and support.  You just need to make sure that WinFrame or
WTS is licensed properly and the server is beefy enough to handle your
user community.  For example, using WinFrame to provide occassional
Internet or remote access is a totally different server than one
providing access for several hundred PCs on the library LAN.  Many
times, for budgetary reasons -- we all know about budgets :=(  -- a
library will elect to continue to serve CDs to the LAN in the
traditional manner, while using WinFrame to serve Internet/remote
users.  So....it might be important to know if the CD services of
AppSolute are available to LAN users, or do all users _have_ to go
through WinFrame.

My $.02.  WinFrame connectivity to CD services is one of our
specialties.  If I can answer any questions, please call or e-mail.

Dennis Brantley  mailto:dennis at dati.com
Data Access Technologies, Inc.  http://www.dati.com
Internet/Remote Access - CD Networking - Thin Client Computing
(770) 339-6554