[WEB4LIB] Reporting web statistics

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Tue Jun 22 11:48:18 EDT 1999

At 08:27 AM 6/22/99 -0700, Lynn Eades wrote:
>Hi!  I am curious as to how you report your statistics gathered from
>your web site?  Are you reporting hits on specific pages or overall hits
>to the site?  How are you reporting in-house vs. remote hits?  Do you
>report trails within your site or referring sites?  Are there standards
>for reporting statistics?

We use WebTrends for our stats.  You can see examples at:
http://library.boisestate.edu/statslink/  or
http://www.lili.org/stats/

In both cases we only show a small subset of the stats that are available,
and in only a few of the ways it can be presented.  I don't work for
WebTrends, but highly recommend it.  The price is pretty reasonable if you
remember to ask for an educational price.  You can download a trial copy
from www.webtrends.com to see if it will do what you want.

As to the question of how management uses the data, I'd say they don't
really.  I provide it, as I have done for almost two years, on the
assumption that someday they'll care and need it urgently.  It'll be there
waiting.

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165