[WEB4LIB] Re: nspr:winsock ???

Robert J. Tiess rjtiess at warwick.net
Thu Jun 17 06:13:06 EDT 1999

"Andrew I. Mutch" wrote:
> The size of the Netscape window can be "set" by adjusting the values in
> the prefs.js file to match your windows resolution and then "locking"
> prefs.js by setting it to read-only.

Yes, I have done this myself, and it is refreshing
to have a .ini like file with separate settings
that can be changed in a text editor (e.g. Notepad)
as opposed to fiddling with the Registry (although
Netscape 4.x also maintains its own registry file).
In later editions (4.5+) of Netscape, there is also
the liprefs.js file, which contains a broad array
of settings.  Performance can also be adjusted here,
tweaking such things as the network.max_connections
and network.tcpbufsize values.  Much care does need
to be taken, and I would recommend a backup be made
before anyone attempts to edit that file.  For more
on prefs files, Netscape has a comprehensive guide:
http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/deploymt/jsprefs.htm
It's also important to note that any editing must be
done with a plain text editor, not a word processor.

Robert
rjtiess at warwick.net
http://members.tripod.com/~rtiess