Copyright of Web Images

John Creech creechj at mumbly.lib.cwu.edu
Mon Jul 26 10:23:33 EDT 1999

Good Monday morning from the U.S. left coast. I've searched the archives
but no luck.  Does anybody know where one would go to determine who holds
copyright for still photographs from a 1940s era U.S. movie?  I've checked
Internet Movie Dbase, other websites, and print ref bks., but found only
original, 1942 rights listed.

I found the photo on the web, without credits, but don't think it's
copacetic to include without proper attribution. We would like to use the
photo to illustrate, in a whimsical way, something on our website.  Any
ideas?  Also, if we can figure this out, anybody got any idea about
legality of actually putting something like this up, and then say, using
Photoshop to include a "copyright by blahblah" text statement at bottom of
photo?

Thanks, much.

John Creech
Electronic Resources & Systems Librarian
Central Washington University Library
400 E. 8th Ave. | Ellensburg, WA 98926 | 509-963-1081
creechj at www.lib.cwu.edu