[WEB4LIB] watchdog system recovery cards

sean dreilinger sean at savvysearch.com
Wed Jul 21 22:33:18 EDT 1999

aloha john && web librarians:

johna at bbcc.ctc.edu wrote:
> we are thinking of purchasing the watchdog system recovery cards
> and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them.

yes. swear by watchdog cards and daemons for servers colocated at ISPs.
even the software-based watchdogs can catch 95% of system-lockups and
reboot gracefully before it is too late. especially handy when your
servers are co-located across the continent :-).

> we have heard only good review so far.  we felt these would be
> good for our public access internet terminals.

have never thought of using watchdogs in an environment where a human is
present to restart the system in-person. what is the upside there?

--sean :-)

--
mailto:sean at savvysearch.com                sean dreilinger, mlis
 http://www.savvysearch.com                http://durak.org/sean