policing Internet usage

Lee Jouthas ljofrm at alam1.lib.co.alameda.ca.us
Wed Jul 21 12:47:48 EDT 1999

I work in a library with 20 public access Internet terminals.  These terminals
are a recently installed upgrade to our catalog offering full Internet access
including email, chat etc, plus our catalog and periodical databases.

We ask users to limit themselves to 20 minutes when others are waiting for a
terminal and there are signs to this effect in prominent locations.  Most
people seem to not be observing the 20 minute limit so staff have found it
necessary to make periodic announcements reminding people of the time limit.
One of our worst problems is a group of young people who show up everyday and
use the terminals to chat With Each Other!  I know other libraries have had
this problem.

We are now discussing some possible solutions which include possibly making
one or two terminals "express" stations only (5 minutes)...taking signups, (a
solution no one wants; the workload for our reference desk for 20 terminals is
just mind boggling) or even blocking email/chat/games on selected terminals.
(Perhaps the express terminals only?)  I don't even know if this can be done.

So my question to the list; have others dealt with this issue and has anyone
come up with a creative way to increase turnover on their terminals in a fair
and equitable manner?

Any input is much appreciated!

Lee Jouthas
Reference Librarian