[WEB4LIB] RE: watchdog system recovery c

David Borchardt davidb at cstone.net
Tue Jul 20 16:38:24 EDT 1999

I *almost* hate to offer again, but since PC security and management seems
to be a recurring theme...

Rather than trying to, as Deanna says, use "a bunch of third party
applications thrown together", download or request an evaluation copy of
Public Access Manager (PAM) from Invortex Technologies - 800-295-0860 or
www.invortex.com.  PAM incorporates policy-based security, work
session-based management, and user/system reporting all in a single
application - at a good price.  On a Win 95/98 PC, PAM will give you
security and control >= NT and much easier to manage.  Features include the
ability to optionally: require user logon utilizing existing ID numbers;
automatically shut down all PCs at the end of the day; place URL
restrictions on specific terminals; restrict users to an approved list of
software titles; control the number of logons during a specified period; set
PC Session time limits; set printing limits or, utilizing the included print
vending solution, sell prepaid print privilege cards; set the browser to
automatically 'return home' after a specified period of inactivity, and
more.

No, PAM won't get patrons to pay their fines, but it could enable you
restrict their access until they do... and it won't make them leave at
closing time, but it can keep them from using the PCs after hours... and
when patrons prepay for printing, you'd be amazed at the decrease in
unclaimed, unpaid print job$...!!!

Best Regards,

David Borchardt, VP Sales & Marketing
Invortex Technologies, Inc.